February 6, 2020
Dear International Students，
I hope you are all doing well and everyone stays safe and healthy!
This Spring Festival break is an unusual one for all of us, but even more so for you as international students of CUHK-Shenzhen. You had made good plans for the holidays, but the outbreak of a novel coronavirus has disrupted your travel plans and caused difficulties for you in many different ways. We fully understand your concerns, as well as your parents’, about contagions of the virus and the safety of returning to campus. Your health and safety is our top priority and we are making every effort to prevent and control the virus spread, and have made various plans to minimize the impacts of the virus outbreak on your academic studies.
1. The University closed its campus on January 28 and it will remain closed until the virus outbreak is under control and returning to campus is safe. The spring semester will start no earlier than February 24 and please do not plan to return to campus in advance;
2. While the campus remains closed, teaching and learning will continue online. The University will implement an online teaching and learning plan starting February 17, and the online practice will continue until it is safe for you to return to campus;
3. The access to campus is restricted during the prevention and control period. While students staying on campus are asked not to go out, students staying off campus are advised to stay put. Travelling in China is strongly discouraged;
4. However, under special circumstances if you truly need to return to your college, you must submit an application to your college at least one day in advance. You can also send your returning request to ISSSO, and ISSSO will submit your application to the University for approval. A decision will be made taking into consideration the safety of yours and that of your fellow students;
5. Psychological counseling related to the coronavirus outbreak is now offered by the Student Counseling and Development Service under the Office of Student Affairs each day from 13:00-18:00.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We will endeavor to answer your questions, address your concerns and provide the best service we can. Here is the contact information of the Office of International Scholar and Student Services:
Once again, please stay safe and healthy and take good care of yourselves. This coronavirus epidemic will be curbed and controlled. The year of the rat started with many challenges, but it will end with a lot of triumphs. I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful campus soon!
Professor Shiping Zhu