Music Librarian - School of Music (Ref. 2021/048/01)
The School of Music is looking for a Music Librarian who will take part in the planning of the Music Library in both the temporary campus and the permanent new school campus. He/She will make suggestion to the design of the library and oversee the construction process. The Music Librarian will establish collections and services that support teaching, research and performance needs of the students and faculty of the School of Music.
Who We Are
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (CUHK-Shenzhen) was established in 2014 in accordance with the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Chinese-foreign Cooperation in Running Schools upon approval of the Ministry of Education. It inherits the educational philosophy and academic systems of The Chinese University of Hong Kong and is committed to nurturing high end talents with global perspective, Chinese tradition and social responsibility. It offers 4-year undergraduate programmes plus postgraduate studies at both master and doctorate levels. Currently with over 7000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, CUHK-Shenzhen offers programmes in science, engineering, management and economics, humanities and social science, life and health science, data science and medicine (from 2021 onwards). Most of the courses in CUHK SZ are taught in English.
With the strong support of the Shenzhen Government, CUHK-Shenzhen was given the responsibility to plan and establish the Shenzhen Conservatory of Music, initially as a School of the University, which expects to recruit the first batch of undergraduate students in 2021. The School of Music has 4 Streams namely Composition, Musicology, Performance and Dance. Recruitment for the 2021 cohort will begin with the Performance Stream with majors in Piano, Strings, Woodwinds, Brass and Voice. Other majors in Performance (Conducting, Chinese Music, Musical Theatre) and the other three Streams will commence later in 2023 and 2024. A purposely-built campus is planned for completion by end of 2024.
Where is Shenzhen
Bordering Hong Kong in the south by a river, Shenzhen was established as a Special Economic Zone in 1980. After years of hard work and with the influx of talents, Shenzhen is now well-known as a global technology hub and is dubbed by the media as the China Silicon Valley. In 2019, Shenzhen was ranked 14th in the Global Financial Centres Index and boasts the third busiest container port in the world. With the actual administrative population close to 20 million spreading over 9 Districts, its GDP surpassed Hong Kong in 2018 mounting to 2.42 trillion RMB. It has been ranked second on the list "Top 10 cities to visit in 2019" by Lonely Planet.
Culturally, the Shenzhen Symphony Orchestra was established in 1982 and regularly performs in the Shenzhen Concert Hall, Shenzhen Grand Theatre and Shenzhen Poly Theatre. In late 2018, the Government announced a plan of its Ten Major Cultural Constructions which includes several museums, an opera house and the CUHK-Shenzhen School of Music (the Shenzhen Conservatory of Music).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plan, coordinate and implement the library services and policies;
2. Serve as the liaison between University Libraries and the School of Music, maintaining effective communication with colleagues, faculty, and students;
3. Recruit and manage a team of library staff;
4. Develop music and dance collections;
5. Design and conduct library instruction programmes;
6. Develop the Music Library as a common working area for students and staff with the provision of computers and media resources in library space.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Master's degree or higher in music AND Master's degree or higher in Library Science;
2. Strong communication/interpersonal skills;
3. At least 8 years’ experience in an academic library or equivalent;
4. Proficient in music cataloging techniques;
5. Expertise in music research terminology and technique, including fluency with print and digital resources specific to music libraries;
6. Engagement in the music library profession, including participation in music library professional organizations;
7. Competency and Fluency in Chinese and English.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appointments will be made under the establishment of CUHK-SZ and statutory benefits will be provided according to the prevailing labor laws applicable in the PRC. The appointee will be based at the University campus in Shenzhen, PRC.
Please submit a current CV and a cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position addressing to the Planning Office for School of Music at email@example.com. All submissions will be kept in strict confidence.
The position will remain open until filled.